Competition Rules (adapted from The National Beard and Moustache Championships)
1. The Oktoberfest Tampa 2015 Mustache Competition is open to all competitors, regardless of nationality, race, religion, or club or team affiliation (as it may apply).
2. The competition will take place in six categories. Each competitor will specify the category in which he wishes to compete when he registers.
3. The competitors in designated categories must appear for “pre-judging” prior to the competition with their facial hair styled as it will be for the competition. Any competitor who does not meet the qualifications for the category he has entered will be placed into a different category where he does qualify.
4. By registering for the competition, all competitors give their permission to the organizers and to the organizers’ designees that the competitors may be photographed, videotaped, and tape recorded and further that the organizers and their designees may use the photographs, video tapes, and audio tapes of the competitor for any purpose including commercial purposes. Any competitor who does not agree to this provision must notify the organizers in writing before the start of the competition.
5. Depending on the number of contestants in each category, the judging in some categories will include an elimination round and a final round.
6. In the event of an elimination round, the competitors in each category will be divided into several different groups. To the extent possible each group of competitors in any category will consist of the same number of competitors. Each judge will vote for three competitors in each group. The three competitors receiving the most votes in each group will advance to the final round. In the case of a tie for either first, second, or third place, all competitors with the same number of votes will advance to the finals.
7. In the final round and in those categories where there is no elimination round, each judge will rank the top three competitors in each category. A first place vote is worth five points, a second place vote is worth three points, and a third place vote is worth one point. The contestant with the highest number of points wins. In the event of a tie for any of the first three places, the judges will be asked to revote among the tied competitors.
8. Any competitor who does not appear when called to the stage will be eliminated.
9. The organizers reserve the right to modify these rules at any time. Any rule modifications will be announced publicly before the competition begins.
10. All decisions of the judges and organizers are final.
11. The judges will be required to take an oath to be impartial. The judges will receive no information regarding judging except for the official judging criteria which are available to the public. Any judge who is personally acquainted with any of the competitors may not vote in the category in which such competitor competes.
12. Discourteous, abusive, or unprofessional behavior by a contestant may lead to disqualification at the organizers’ discretion.
13. The results of the judges’ voting will be made public following the competition.
14. Artificial facial hair is not permitted.
15. The term “aids” as used in the category descriptions means artificial styling aids such as moustache wax, hair spray, hair cream, styling foam, hair gel, hair pins, rubber bands, hair ties, and the like.